Thursday, December 08, 2005

The need for "rightness"

I think I am born into a world where there is very little space for the wrong.........and a world where rules are more important than reality....

I was watching Nach Baliye.......a couple that could have potentially won the show lost......too bad for them......and as you'd expect any winner to do, they were bravely smiling

I just fail to understand why do we have to mask our emotions.....they felt like losers and I'm sure they'd want to wail and scream and curse their luck and the judges and everything......but all they did was smile and say feel good stuff.................

WHY????

Coz there was really no space ..... no space for the wrong.......

Its crazy because so often we make the rule more important than the reality.....

A rule may be that I cant get attracted to any relative - its incest......the bad words I learnt as a youngster were all about incest - abuses on ma and behen......

And yet the reality may be that I feel very attracted to some relative.......and thats very wrong as per the social rule........

Of course the rule has been in existence for its own reasons but I think its high time we gave importance to the reality and not the rule....when will we have a miss universe who comes and proclaims "I care 2 hoots about those dying children and I dont wanna spend my year caring for them coz I dont feel so.....I love my beauty and I want to be rich famous and beautiful......" The last brutually honest miss universe probably existed before the competition ever commenced :)

In one on one interactions too, there is missing space.....the temptation to agree, to align is so much there.....tolerance for discord is very very low.....rule is you dont fight....reality is you want to.....the rule wins......

I live in a world where its not important what we as people feel - homosexuality....euthneisia.....incest.....drugs.....meaninglessness of religion....

what is more important is whats right and wrong.....

Its about the "Right" all the time......

Like this post may set you thinking is reality.......and yet the final victory shall belong to the rule - the rule that such things are best left stuffed in some corner of the brain......

3 Comments:

Blogger Hermit Chords said...

Ah, tell me about them. Norms are as bad as rules: they deny your honesty and give you a mask to wear. You're talking to a girl for an hour, but you ignore the extremely complex currents that flow around you, the battle of instinct against propriety. So you stand like a pair of sterile posts, talking of college and common friends.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Pratz said...

Right indeed!!! Rules are defined by mankind...why let them define mankind. Its like losing a part of one's identiy in order to maintain an image of what we know we are not...!!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Varun Prasad said...

You can accuse me of being typical and old-fashioned, however, I believe that following rules is important. Sometimes rules should indeed take precedence over instinct.

However, what is more important, is to realize why a certain rule exists. To use one of your examples, love for cousins is frowned upon. This is a very sensible rule which was established to prevent inbreeding in humans, leading to a more diverse gene pool, increasing the human race's chances of survival. As a result, it would make very good sense not to fall in love with, or at the very least procreate with a cousin.

On the other hand, on examining the reason behind the rule, if the cousin does not share any blood with you, then the rule is no longer useful. So if you do have a cousin who is your brother's wife's sister, then go ahead and flirt as much as you want with her.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home